Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Its All About The Benjamins or N2N Question #4

Neighbor to Neighbor (N2N) wanted to know where I would look for the money to fund after-school programs.  After looking at our current models (Ford, etc.) and investigating solutions that have not been proposed yet - this is how I answered.  

4. What is your plan to raise revenue for the schools to be able to provide after school and summer programming?

a.       I plan to partner with The City Council and propose that non-owner-occupied, multi-family homes be treated as businesses and be taxed as such.
b.      I plan to partner with The City Council to organize Lynn parents to advocate for funding for Lynn on the State and Federal levels.
c.       I plan to partner with The City Council in proposing a rental tax.
d.      Presently Lynn contains a free after-school program for children eight years old and older at the Boys and Girls Club.  Transportation is provided from every elementary school, except Ford and Drewicz.  Expanding the number of schools that can participate in this service could alleviate some of the need for after-school programming with little monetary investment.
e.       I plan to expand our grants department and pursue more private funding, as the Ford School did with private partnerships.
f.       I will review redundant administrative positions, as well as exorbitant administrative salaries.
g.      I expect to have to eliminate one teaching position per school to fund after school programming, similar to how Dr. Crane did at the Ford School.
h.      I hope to provide incentives and rewards for students who come to school every day and on time.
i.     I will look for volunteers from local businesses and the community at large (PTA, SIC, Churches) to help staff summer programming.

j.     I hope to establish Substantially Separate, Special Education, Therapeutic Day Schools and market them to communities, outside of Lynn, that currently lack them.


Italicized section added after questions were submitted to Neighbor to Neighbor.  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa.
    I was wondering if you can offer clarification on items a and c?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey,

    If you don't mind, I'm going to address your question in a new blog. Check back in a little bit for my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacey,

    My answer is up. If you have any more questions, I'm not afraid to answer.

    ReplyDelete